26 Jan Five Reasons Collaborative Web Editing is Also a Security Tool
eFolder is about to release Collaborative Web Editing on the Anchor platform. Anchor is a business-grade file sync, share, and collaboration platform designed for MSPs. Anchor delivers anytime, anywhere file access to users, while helping MSPs solve some of the thorniest security and data privacy issues faced in the mobile world today.
Anchor Collaborative Web Editing empowers users to create,edit, and even present content on the web in real time. With the real-time Collaborative Web Editor, you can create and edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations when working in the web portal, without needing to download a separate application or navigate away from the system. Additionally, the Collaborative Web Editor also enables you to make these changes simultaneously with multiple coauthors and lets you see each edit in real time.
While at first blush, Collaborative Web Editing might seem mostly a productivity tool for users, this new functionality also improves security and data privacy by eliminating many of the traditional editing and collaboration techniques in use today. With this new functionality, MSPs can work with their clients in sensitive verticals and job functions to begin using Collaborative Web Editing. Here are the five ways Collaborative Web Editing improves security and data privacy:
1. No more “shadow IT” in third party file sharing applications – As an eFolder employee, I consider myself an Anchor power user. We do everything in Anchor, from hosting all critical work content in the cloud to computing and sharing from mobile devices. However, before the introduction of Anchor Collaborative Web Editing, even our marketing team had certain use cases where Anchor did not completely fit the bill. One example was the global events calendar for our event marketing team. This team needed the benefit of an online, web-based spreadsheet to manage the dozens of events we host each month. The team needs the sheet open throughout the work day, with several different simultaneous collaborators and co-authors. Alas, even my team used a third party solution to manage this workflow in the past. Obviously, this is one of the many compromises between security and convenience which business users need to make every day. No longer. Now, we leverage Anchor Collaborative Web Editing so the spreadsheet and online collaboration stays inside Anchor’s security. Everything is tracked, audited, and controlled and my events team can also stay agile and productive while juggling our busy events calendar.
2. No local saved copy of sensitive documents – Traditionally, collaboration has relied on email attachments and local editing of documents in common office applications. Depending on the scenario, sending a full document as an attachment introduces all sorts of risks to privacy and data security. Did the recipient forward the email and attachment on to someone else? Did they email to one of their private email addresses? Did they leave the attachment on the desktop, with a sensitive file name and then carelessly show off their desktop in a group meeting or webinar? Did the file get left on an un-encrypted laptop which was then stolen or lost? All of these scenarios are likely possibilities with business documents. And they happen every day. Large contracts, financial deals, M&A transactions, or legal documents can be compromised with sloppy sharing, saving, and editing of documents. Anchor Collaborative Web Editing gives the principal authors of documents fine-grained control over how and where content can be shared and edited. You can share a document with a secure share and force the editing and collaboration to happen exclusively online, eliminating many of the snafus that can occur with traditional sharing and offline collaboration. And if your collaborators decide to share that content with others, you have a full audit trail of what happened, when, and with whom it happened, enabling your security, visibility, and management at a granular level.
3. Web editing and collaboration for remote workers on shared or public workstations – Have you ever needed to edit and print a document from a hotel computer? Do you worry about the risks of downloading sensitive content to a computer you don’t control, or leaving a USB thumb drive in the USB slot? Users make these trade-offs every day. And often sensitive content gets left scattered around, uncontrolled, unaudited, and potentially stolen or pilfered by a bad actor. With Anchor Collaborative Web Editing, you can compute inside the browser, print as needed, and logout, without leaving anything behind on the public workstation.
4. Restricted file sync scenarios and agility with web editing – There are many MSPs and end-user clients who restrict file syncing to a single, corporate controlled machine. In these scenarios, the MSP or admin is wary of corporate content syncing to more than one machine per user. Whenever a user is remote or off their main machine, they are forced to access their files through the web portal. Before, this may have seemed overly restrictive. Now, with Collaborative Web Editing, the users can not just access and share files, but also create, edit, and present them online. There are always trade-offs between security and convenience, but if you can have highly secure workflows, while still empowering users, you get the best of both worlds; that is invincible productivity.
5. Track everything during editing and collaboration – One of the biggest challenges with offline collaboration is editing control and audit trails, especially with multiple co-authors. In traditional settings, where edits are made offline, in an asynchronous manner, you often end up in version control hell, unable to determine who, when, or why certain edits were made. Anchor Collaborative Web Editing raises the bar on visibility and control on how documents are edited, giving principal authors fine-grained control over who, when, and where changes were made. Transparency and visibility actually streamline collaboration and teamwork and help everyone move faster with getting a project done.
Anchor Collaborative Web Editing helps MSPs and their clients leverage the best of teamwork and collaboration, while layering in addition levels of privacy, security, and control for business content.